Saturday, February 4, 2012

Arizona Continued

I should have changed the title on the other post as it was mainly about child care, but oh well. Since it's nap time I thought I'd talk about Arizona.
We flew into Phoenix last Friday night, the plane was delayed so we didn't get there until 11:30 local time. We went to the hotel we booked for the night and hit the sack. The next morning we had breakfast and then Joel's dad and step mom, Pete and Barb, picked us up to take us to Yuma. It was nice we didn't have to spend the money to rent a car. Yuma is about a 3 hour drive from Phoenix.
Once we got to Yuma, we went to the RV Park that Pete and Barb stay in. It's a nice park. Yuma has hundreds of parks like theirs that snow birds stay in. They said a lot of Canadians go to Yuma, which we did see the licenses plates. We just relaxed for the rest of the day and then went to our hotel room that night. The room was interesting as we booked a suite. The door opens to the living space with a kitchenette to the left and the bedroom straight. There is a sink in the bedroom but I didn't see the toilet or shower. Those items are found just off the kitchenette. So when you use the toilet you have to then walk all the way around to the sink in the bedroom to wash hands. I started to put a towel by the kitchen sink so we could wash there as that's only 2 steps out of the bathroom.  It was okay because we didn't spend too much time in our room anyway.

Sunday we went to church. I was not expecting, even though I should have, the Prayer Quilts.  People from the congregation make the quilts that include pieces of yarn knotted to the quilt, the knots representing someone has prayed for the person. Chloe and Faith received Prayer Quilts last year. I was holding Chloe putting her to sleep when three quilts were brought to the front. I lost it. I started to cry. Luckily my hair was down and I could kind of hide my face. It took me some time to recover from the moment but by the end of church I was fine again.  After church we headed to the 99 cent store which is a hoax because everything is .9999 cents so it rings up as $1.00. It must be they can't be called dollar stores or sell things for a dollar, something like that. We also went to the grocery store. Joel and I picked up some Mexican pop which we had with lunch. We went swimming at the park's heated pool that afternoon. Kylie loved it. She loves being in the water. We need to get her swimming lessons so she can swim without assistance. Chloe seemed to love the water too.  She had big smiles on her face when she was held, she didn't like the baby swim thing we put her in. It was nice the pool is heated as in the morning and evening the temperature is in the 50's and I guess they had winds from the Santa Ana's blowing. The days were in the 70's, cooler in the shade, warmer in the sun. Better than anything Michigan was having. (Although today here it's mid 40's and sunny - for February!)

Monday Pete and Barb watched the girls and Joel and I went into Mexico. Yuma is on the California border and when you enter California and go a mile or so, there's a town in Mexico just over the border called Los Algondonas (not sure on spelling). We went there in the late morning and left mid-afternoon. Joel wanted some stained glass for our house, which I didn't want. I settled on letting him have one piece for a window in our downstairs. I told him "I like to look out the windows" He says the glass would go on the top half. I said "where do you think I look out the window from?"  I look out of the top half because I'm not short and I don't always want to bend down to see out. He couldn't find anything that would fit his price (yes!). I would have been okay with it but I need to get a little more use to the idea. I had to laugh at him when he was in one store and trying to tell the guy he didn't want a bunch of colors and no animals or plants. The guy kept showing him animals, plants, lots of colors. : ) We ended up buying some nice looking liquor bottles and two small purses, for the girls.

Tuesday we went to the Yuma prison. That was interesting, I wish I could have heard more of what the tour guide was saying but I think I got the gist of it. I was watching Kylie as I wasn't sure how interested she would be. She did well.  Chloe did well too. They are good kids.

I'll continue this later, Chloe woke up from nap. I just weighed her and she is 23 pounds 5 oz. I thought she'd be heavier but she is a little mover, always on the go.  She is pulling herself up to stand and she has also figured out how to sit back down. Big girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment